The Cirque du freak series is a leap away from my chosen genre, but my son needed to read them as part of a school reading goal. Wanting to be supportive, I agreed to read along with him. And what a treasure of imagination these books turned out to be. I found myself struggling to wait for my son to keep up, and after getting tired of sneaking them out of his backpack to read when he wasn't around, I invested in a set of these books for myself. These easy reads, pull you right in, and keep hold of you till the very end, and even then, you want more.
The main character, Darren Shan, is named after the author, as though these books are his memoirs, in fact, the book series starts with the line, "This is a true story."
You will find yourself as sucked in as I was as you follow Darren Shan through his adventures into the under belly of the vampire world, with its freak shows, meeting characters such as the web spinning Madam Octa and the unmistakeable Mr Crepsley.
A great series of books for ALL ages.
Read and reviewed by L.M. Potter

No comments:
Post a Comment